Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Tri-Training... more.

Random | -----------------------------------------------------------

Really, honestly, I won't do this again! I need to update every day... it will only take a few minutes. Okay. I have convinced myself. :)


WORK-outs | --------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday (10.23.07). Tri-Training - Day 3: Bike 45 mn / Strength / Core.
——Bike. I wish it was still summertime when the sun rose at 6 AM and life was good. Ha.... I learned today that riding a bike at the gym doesn't have the same magic as cruising down the road with the wind in your hair. When I first got to the gym, the "normal" bikes were taken, so I hopped on one of those recumbent bikes. Yuck. I lasted 5 minutes... or as long as it took for one of the real bikes to open up. Much better. But not great. 40 minutes later, my butt was sore as heck. Two words sum up today on the bike: "ouch" and "boring". I really have to figure out how to make riding a bike at the gym more interesting and less painful.
——Strength. Went well... Again, not overly challenging. I need to up the sets or the weights or reps or something.
Bent Arm Lat Pulldowns - 2 sets/15 reps - 12lb
Seated Row - 2 sets/15 reps - 36lb
Leg Press - 2 sets/15 reps - 75lb & 80lb
2 Leg Squats - 2 sets/15 reps - 45lb
Leg Extensions - 2 sets/15 reps - 20lb & 30lb
——Core #1.
Crunches (Fit Ball = FB) - 1 x 15
Back Extensions (FB) - 2 x 15
Superman on Elbows - 2 x 45 seconds
V-Ups (FB) - 1 x 12, 1 x 16
Pushups (FB) - 2 x 15
Supine Hip Extension (FB) - 2 x 15
Crunches (FB) 3 x 15

Wednesday (10.24.07). Tri-Training - Day 4: Run 22 mn / Core / Swim.
——Run. Ran on the treadmill. I hate to say that I might be used to it. Started slow, 12min pace, threw in some sprints at sub-8 pace. Good run. Ended up doing 2.1 miles.
——Swim. Good day in the pool. Overall felt stronger. 800 yards in about 30 minutes including a few breaks.

Thursday (10.25.07). Tri-Training - Day 5: Bike 1 hr / Swim
——Bike. Long time in the seat. Again at the gym. Nice, even steady. "Endurance ride" today. I brought a book and read, which helped the time go by. My legs felt slightly stronger, but it all feels relative on a machine at the gym.
——Swim. 600 yards. Fast, easy swim. It took me maybe 20 minutes. Oh, and you know when a race just happens out of the blue? Well I was swimming next a guy who was flailing around like he was drowning. When I got to one end of the pool with only one length left in my set, I eyed him about 10 - 15 feet in front of me. The race was on. I caught him quickly and then held my pace just long enough for him to get the point. From there is was all out to the end. I won. :)

Friday (10.26.07). Tri-Training - Day 6: Rest day

Saturday (10.27.07). Tri-Training - Day 7: Bike 30 mn / Run 25 mn
——Bike. Finally! A real bike ride! Outside! On a real bike!! It was a beautiful day, and perfect for a ride around the 'hood. It was a little chilly, so gloves and hat were in order. I did around 6 miles in 30 minutes... I seem to do a consistent 12 mile pace on the "real" bike as well as on the bike at the gym. I am encouraged by this. If this is where I am starting, I have a feeling that with some work, I can improve my bike strength greatly over the winter and spring. Hopefully!
——Run. NOT on the treadmill!! I came home from the bike, blew my nose and headed straight out on a run. My first "brick" day. ;) Man, it felt great to be outside running for real. I did 25 minutes easy and felt strong and loose. About 2.5 miles keeping a steady, decent pace.

Sunday (10.28.07). Tri-Training - Day 8: Bike 30 mn / Strength / Core.
——Bike. Read Triathlete magazine and kicked out 30 minutes easy. I did a hill routine and kept the resistance pretty low so that I could stay in the 5-6 RPE zone. The bikes at the gym have "baskets" on the pedals (or whatever they are really called), so I have been practicing a pull and pushing motion. Lots of room for improvement on the bike still!
——Strength. First time by myself in the weight room. Zack was busy so I was alone. And thankfully it was a quiet Sunday evening at the gym, so no one to watch me fumble. :) Actually, it went very well. No complaints.
Bent Arm Lat Pulldowns - 2 x 12 - 12lb & 24lb
Seated Row - 2 x 12 reps - 36lb
Leg Press - 2 x 15 reps - 85lb & 95lb
2 Leg Squats - 2 x 12 reps - 45lb
Leg Extensions - 2 x 15 reps - 20lb
——Core #1.
Crunches (Fit Ball = FB) - 2 x 15
Back Extensions (FB) - 2 x 15
Superman on Elbows - 2 x 45 seconds
V-Ups (FB) - 2 x 15
Pushups (FB) - 2 x 10
Supine Hip Extension (FB) - 2 x 15
Crunches (FB) 2 x 15

Monday (10.29.07). Tri-Training - Day 9: Run 20 mn / Core / Swim
——Run. Another day on the 'mill. 20 minutes nice and steady, with one sprint. I don't know this for sure, but I feel like, if nothing else, running on the treadmill is making me faster. My legs feel strong these days.
——Swim. I had an 800 yard swim scheduled for today. 4 sets of 200 strong and steady. Zack expressed some interest in swimming with me, and I jumped at the chance to get him in the pool. It was around 8 when we got there, and there were only two lanes taken. It was perfect. I worked with him on learning some breathing techniques, but otherwise just let him do his thing so that he could gain confidence in the pool. He has allot of natural form, and I think with a few "lessons" he is going to find himself at home in the water. I did about 800 - 900 yards... sort of lost count and didn't really do the sets of 200 as I was helping Zack out here and there. It was a great swim though, and I am thrilled to have a swimming buddy!

Tuesday (10.30.07). Tri-Training - Day 10: Unplanned rest day. We hosted a Halloween Party at our house. The workout got scrapped.

Wednesday (10.31.07). Tri-Training - Day 11: Details tonight after my workout at the gym! On schedule... a 1200 yard swim, a 25 minute run, and a core workout.

No comments: