Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I'm a blog slacker.

Hi. It's been awhile wasn't it? Okay. I'll admit it. I am a blog slacker. I don't post every day, or even every other day. Is once a week alright? Here's a long recap of the past week and a half of running (or not running). I promise to post something more interesting and insightful later on. After lunch. :)


WORK-outs | --------------------------------------------------------

I am really behind on this thing. I'll try to be concise today. Okay, so I am not good at writing with few words. But really... I'll try.

Sunday (9.16.07). 1st day after the 20. Felt good. Really, really good. I wasn't too sore, just a little stiff in the morning. X-training for the day was... walking around for several hours at the Renaissance Fest. Does that count? Really, I must have put on at least 4 miles. And I was carrying a turkey leg. Can I count that for strength training? :)

Monday (9.17.07). Rest day. Ahh....

Tuesday (9.18.07). It was raining cats and dogs outside and lightning to beat the band. So, my AM run became a PM run, which in turn became a treadmill run because of the continued rain. 55 minutes on the 'mill in the basement. I watched "Biggest Loser" and somehow it really motivated me. I kept increasing my pace and punching the air in front of me... feeling really good. And then the landlord's daughter came downstairs to deliver a loaf of bread that they baked for us. And I felt like a dork. Ha.

Wednesday (9.19.07). After a really tough day at work, I was out of sorts and not feeling very well. I got home and changed in a hurry and headed out the door. Left the watch at home and decided to run 'till the sunset. I was scheduled for 8 miles, but I probably ran more like 4 or 5. But it was therapy. I stopped for thirty seconds out in the fields and watched the sun sinking on the horizon and I just let the stress of the day melt away. I think we all need runs like this sometimes... to help us remember why we are running. Sometimes I think to myself that the marathon is the goal, the destination, but it's the journey that matters. It's the day-by-day ordinary putting-the-miles-in that makes me feel alive and helps me let the steam out. I live by the rules of the training plan. I put in the right number of miles of the right days, but sometimes... sometimes... I think it's worth it to just run... till the sun sets.

Thursday (9.20.07). Refer to my earlier post regarding a torrential downpour/tornado/flood/lightning fest. Needless to say, I stayed in. Looking at that post, I think I was going a little crazy and probably came off like a total nutcase. Really, I was fine. It was just the end of another GREAT day at work (being sarcastic here) and I couldn't even walk out the front doors to my car because of the downpour and I really needed a good run and, well... you know the rest. Somehow I made it home through flooded streets (thank God for an SUV) and actually enjoyed a night on the couch watching Shrek (we don't have many movies in the house). I'm glad it's taper or I probably would have gone out there... or begged the landlords to let me use the treadmill again.

Friday (9.21.07). Rest. Maybe I should have run to make up for Thursday, but I didn't.

Saturday (9.22.07). 12m. 7 AM. 50˚. We were headed to an amusement park to chaperon the youth group from our church, so I was determined to get my run in early. It was chilly when I started out, and I was glad for my long sleeve shirt. I headed towards the park and planned on doing three loops around the lake before heading back. As I got into the run I felt a little sore and tight. I stretched at stoplights and stopped once to stretch more thoroughly. But I just couldn't get into a groove. By the time I got to the lake, I was struggling to stay focused. I just wasn't mentally tuned for this run. The miles felt like they were dragging by, and I was starting to hate my legs for their lack of "umph". At 4.5 miles I took a bathroom break and then started my second circle around the lake. Zack had come out to see me and was sitting in a parking lot. I told him I was struggling and he just told me to keep going... another lap around the lake. I took off and focused on the next lap. My feet were literally dragging. My time was slow, and I just wanted to scream. At about 6 miles I was coming up the path towards the parking lot where Zack was and I sort of tripped on my feet. Didn't fall, but I was annoyed and took off running towards the car. When I got there, I just sort of had a melt down. I crawled in the car, started bawling and mumbling about how I was so frustrated and I didn't want to do this anymore and blah blah blah. Zack just sat and listened and put his arm around me. He didn't tell me to get back out there, but he didn't say "Don't worry about it, let's go home." Once I calmed myself down, I determined that I should at least run home. I took a GU and proceeded to cut my lip on the package. Annoyed, I finally got out of the car and pulled myself together and took off towards home. My dear, sweet husband drove by and called out "Good job!" and headed home to get the ice bath, etc ready. I was only at 6 miles, and home was about 3 miles away. As I left the park, something started to click. My steps became lighter and my pace started to increase. I started to get more comfortable, and somehow my mind started to settle down and focus. I got to eight miles and turned right instead of going straight home. At nine, instead of turning to go the one mile to home, I took off into the fields determined that 12 was going to happen today. I felt good... a little tired; like I was working hard for something I wanted. At the end of the run, I stretched and did the ice bath routine... and thought to myself, "I am glad I did that. It was hard and painful and my mind wasn't in the game. But I pushed and I didn't give up and I didn't quit." For me, it was like a practice in determination... something that might just come in handy during that little race I have coming up. My time didn't turn out to be that terrible actually. It's funny... sometimes I FEEL slower than I am actually running.

12m/2:07:55
10:46
12:29
12:24
10:32
11:10
10:19
9:59
10:03
10:17
9:40
9:56
10:17

After the run, icebath, shower, etc. We took off for the amusement park and enjoyed a nice day of walking around (for me) and hitting every thrill ride in the park four times (for Zack). I used to be a big roller coaster junkie. I would do any ride in sight five times over and still be able to walk in straight line after twenty upside down loops on the Corkscrew. These days, however my stomach starts to do flips just LOOKING at the roller coaster. What is happening to me in my old age?

Anyways, after the run while I was at home and later at the park, I noticed a soreness in my left groin/hip area. It hadn't hurt a bit while running, but throughout the day I found myself limping around. It wasn't really painful... more sore. Somehow, I didn't panic. I didn't run home and put an emergency post in the Body Shop labeled "HELP!! INJURY TWO WEEKS FROM MARATHON!!!!". Instead, I rationalized that I have two full weeks, the hay is in the barn, if ice and ibuprofen don't work, I would still have time for a trip to the PT. That evening, Zack gave me a good leg massage and I took some ibu and went to bed early. In the morning, I was feeling much better and didn't notice much soreness in my leg throughout the day. It was there... but only slightly when I lifted my leg high (like to get into the car or the shower).

Sunday (9.23.07). Instead of x-training I decided to rest (for three days) as a precaution with the hip/groin strain thingy.

Monday (9.24.07). Rest.

Tuesday (9.25.07). Originally I had planned to rest for three days in a row, but then Tuesday rolled around I was feeling pretty good. The soreness had disappeared and I felt set to run. A rainy, cold night convinced me otherwise. Better to be safe than sorry, right?

Wednesday (9.26.07). 6m. 6:45 AM. about 48˚. I was really looking forward to this run. I just needed a good run. Taper has been... well not so great on the running and really great on the resting. I dragged myself out of bed while it was still dark out. Not an easy task, let me tell you! Pulled on shorts, tank, long sleeve top, hat and mittens. And was glad I did. It was a chilly morning and the sun was still hiding when I ventured out, so I was glad for the extra warmth. I planned to run slow, fairly even miles. I wanted to work hard, but in case anything was actually wrong with my hip/groin, I didn't want to push too hard. As I neared the fields, I got my customary good morning cock-a-doodle-doo from the rooster, something I've missed since doing less morning runs. Everything was feeling fine with my leg, and I kept a fairly even slow pace. Turning a corner, I was struck with the sight of the glowing sun rising over the field. It was beautiful and made me feel alive. At about 2 miles, I turned onto a grass path and got my feet soaked with cold dew. Nearing 3 miles I was going along a gravel road when I stepped wrong on a rock or rut or something and rolled my ankle. I do this occasionally and usually move on without missing a beat. But this time I rolled it bad. I stopped running immediately and limped along thinking. "Oh shoot! Darn it. Oh no... this is terrible. I won't be able to run the marathon!!" A few more seconds of walking/limping and the pain started to go away. Thirty seconds later, I was running again. I didn't feel anything until a slight twinge about a mile and half later, and that didn't worry me much. The run went by with little fuss. It was nice though... a good morning run. My legs weren't fresh, and I ran a slow pace, but I felt good overall. Coming off the run, however, I started to notice my hip acting up again. When I was stretching and getting in the shower, I felt it for sure. Just a pinch... a soreness when I bring my leg up. Should I start panicking yet?
6m/1:07:55
11:21
11:11
11:49
11:11
11:00
11:21


Remind me not to go more than a week without updating my blog at least one time. I really hate it when I get so behind. I have more to write... random stuff that I've been thinking about the race coming up and stuff. But that will be later. For now I'm just glad that I am all caught up. Tomorrow I will let you know if I have officially panicked or not. My leg still is feeling funny and I have zero knowledge of what would cause soreness in that area after but not while running. Any hints anyone? Okay... enough rambling. It's time for lunch. :)

No comments: